There’s too much friction dialing into meetings
The meetings on my calendar are such a mess. While my work week isn’t entirely consumed by worthless meetings, the ones I do have just make it too difficult to participate.
Meetings are always a chore, obviously. But that pain every time I try to dial into a conference call? Every time. Every single time. This death by paper-cut.
There are so many offenders. I’ve seen enough of these awful meeting invitations that I’ve even given them pet names. How many of these can you picture?
Are you fed up with meetings on your calendar scattered with different conference dial-in numbers and screen sharing URLs? Are you squinting your eyes trying to read a 10-digit conference code with the numbers all smashed together? Are you looking for a place to pull over your car since the meeting wasn’t setup to click to dial directly from your iPhone?
Face it, your coworkers will never be considerate enough to make this easy for you. Don’t worry, Calenzen solves this and brings calm back to meetings. It’s time to dial-in to your next appointment with ease.
Who’s going to fix it
I am here to create a successful solution with Calenzen. My background alternates between hands-on coding and working in technology sales.
I’ve successfully built a number of successful tech solutions. Cloud Consulting started it all, but the best ventures have always been SaaS-based.
My time in sales helped incubate two recent projects, most successfully the Appointment.one app. Following an audacious effort, Appointment.one ultimately succeeded in its promise to make scheduling meetings and appointments simpler by removing all the friction from phone- and email-tag. Customers who’ve adopted the technology instantly find their schedules transported from the dark ages.
The problem I’m solving with Calenzen came from my sales calendar as well.
Technical solution vision
Calenzen’s technical solution is a classic Pareto principle problem. I anticipate finishing the first 80% of the problem in no time. It’s too bad that even riding the tailwinds from that momentum, the remaining 20% of the work needed to polish the final product may consume an infinite amount of time.
I expect to reuse some of the same foundational components that were already developed and tested as part of Appointment.one. Tasks like calendar connectivity and event tracking across the most common service providers is already completed and working well.
Given that assumption, I expect the majority of time to be focussed on how best to extract the exact phone numbers and dial codes from meeting invitations. Undoubtedly, some will follow the rules, for example if common vendor provided boilerplate information is found:
Others will be totally unique. With more experience, the rules and algorithmic training I implement will successfully catch on an increasingly large number of these cases. But how long will training take? What percentage of successfully matched appointments is considered done? In a similar vein, what percentage of success will customers expect?
Go to market approach
Calenzen needs customers and a revenue model and at this stage both of these are in flux.
Ride along as I go through this journey with regular blog updates. I’ll share plans and discuss technical, commercial, and marketing implementation. Whatever the future holds, you can expect to see the results both good and bad.
One hope is to receive more exposure through this process, which will spur discussion and improve outcomes. With a bit of luck, some may even turn into customers.
As for the concept of a “customer,” that’s in flux too. I’m still trying to figure out the right commercial model. Thoughts as of now:
- No charge. Use this as a lead-in for my paid Appointment.one service. The risk there is what if there’s no overlap between the customers who get value from Calenzen vs. Appointment.one.
- Freemium. Receive revenue from a differentiated subset of customers. The rub with this model is how to differentiate between the plans. Additionally, what if marginal per-user cost exceeds the average customer value?
- Paid. At what price point and how to entice customers to make that initial investment? At a low price point, lifetime customer value won’t support any paid customer acquisition. A higher price point may exceed the value received from the service.